Mumbai airport becomes 100 percent sustainable airport; switches to green sources for its energy requirements
Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA), declared itself as India’s one of the 100 percent sustainable airport by sourcing all of its energy from green sources. The airport aims to achieve “Net Zero Carbon Emission” by 2029.
To achieve its target of 100 per cent greener energy, the airport switched to hybrid technology. CSMIA procures around 5% of the airport’s electricity requirement through its onsite solar generation and the rest 95% from other green sources such as hydro and wind energy.
In April 2022, CSMIA deployed a 10Kwp Hybrid SolarMill consisting of a 2 Kwp TurboMill and 8 Kwp Solar PV modules with an estimated minimum energy generation of 36 Kwh per day.
In the CSMIA’s sustainability initiative, they targeted to reduce their carbon footprint and take another step towards their goal of net zero emissions. To support this, they have also implemented a Carbon Accounting and Management System (CAMS) based on ISO 14064-1:2018 to identify, measure, and manage Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions.
The airport’s spokesperson said, “We are extremely delighted to achieve this key milestone in our journey towards attaining a sustainable future for CSMIA. Quick wins do not create high-level of impact on the environment, thus, CSMIA has always been determined to focus on long-term. The diligent efforts of the airport in undertaking several thoughtful initiatives have paved the way to achieve this feat. As CSMIA aspires to become net-zero by 2029, this landmark event further encourages us to stay committed to our efforts in enhancing the operational efficiency of the airport while operating on fully renewable energy.”
Earlier, Delhi’s IGIA and Kerala’s Cochin International Airport declared about being 100% sustainable by meeting their energy requirements from renewable resources.
The airport is further aiming to adopt internet of things (IoT) based temperature monitoring system to optimize the energy consumption of the air conditioning system and conversion of conventional fuel vehicles with electric vehicles (EV).